Skip to main content

College of Engineering and Science Records

 Collection
Identifier: 1990-0002

Scope and Content Note

The records of the College of Engineering and Science are housed in nineteen boxes and are arranged into seven series. Series have been designated for annual reports, general information, minutes, departments, research, College of Industries, and personnel records. The records include reports, meeting minutes, publications, correspondence, posters, and personnel cards. The majority of the collection is made of annual reports and meeting minutes.

Dates

  • Majority of material found within 1901-1968
  • 1901-1987

Restrictions

None.

Historical Sketch

The School of Applied Science was one of the four schools that formed the Carnegie Technical Schools at their opening in 1905.

Research in the School of Applied Science was carried out through the Division of Cooperative Research. Much research focused on human factors in industry. The research was often funded by private industries. The Industrial and Engineering Research focused particularly in metallurgy and mining. The Division was discontinued in 1924, but the activities were continued through committees.

In 1922, the School of Applied Science became the College of Engineering. "Practices" in commercial (engineering) and physics were added. During the 1930s, the faculty began adding a few humanities classes into the Engineering curriculum. In 1936, Robert Doherty became president of the Carnegie Institute of Technology. In 1940 he introduced what would be come known as the "Carnegie Plan" to give engineering students a broader understanding of the social issues which surround technological problems. Under this new educational plan, engineering students would take one humanities or social science class focused on problem solving each semester. In their senior year, the student would present a project that combined technical and social skills.

After World War II, the number of engineering students at the Carnegie Institute of Technology accounted for more than half of the total enrollment. Graduate students in engineering and science were increasing as well. In 1946, the College of Engineering became the College of Engineering and Science.

When the Carnegie Institute of Technology merged with the Mellon Institute to become Carnegie Mellon University, the departments in the College of Engineering and Science were split into two separate colleges. In 1970, the sciences (mathematics, physics, chemistry, biology, and computer science) were organized into the Mellon College of Science. The engineering courses became the Carnegie Institute of Technology.

The School for Apprentices and Journeymen was also one of the original schools that made up the Carnegie Institute of Technology in 1905. The School offered many two-year courses in machinery production, building construction, and printing, and one four-year Industrial Teachers course which led to a Bachelor of Science degree in Industrial Education.

In 1910, the name was changed to the School of Applied Industries. During World War I the School discontinued its regular course offerings. When normal courses started up again in 1919, most courses led to a Bachelor of Science degree. The name was also changed to the College of Industries. As their curriculums became more similar, the College of Industries began integrating their students with the College of Engineering. By 1934 the College of Industries was phased out and all of its programs were transferred to the College of Engineering.

Extent

17.5 Linear feet (19 boxes)

Language

English

Overview

The papers include annual reports, Curriculum Committee minutes, and information from the departments of Chemistry, Civil Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Management Engineering, and Physics. The college split during the merger with Mellon Institute in 1967 to become the Mellon College of Science (Sciences) and the Carnegie Institute of Technology (Engineering). This collection includes materials on the College of Industries.

Provenance

These materials were received in several accessions. A portion of this collection was transferred from the Office of the Dean of Engineering around 1990. Other items have been donated by individuals such as Isabel Dorothy Taylor in 1993.

Related Archival Materials note

The University Archives also holds the records of the Carnegie Institute of Technology and of the Mellon College of Science, which resulted from the splitting of the College of Engineering and Science, and the Carnegie Institute of Technology Small Alumni Collection, which consists of material donated by Engineering alumni and related to the College of Engineering.

Separations

One half foot of photographs from the Nuclear Research Center have been separated to the General Picture Collection in the University Archives.

One folder of oversized material from the Research series has been placed in drawer 9 of the oversized drawers on the second floor of Hunt. This folder contains blueprints and drawings from the Bureau of Rolling Mill Research, Metals Research Laboratory, and Nuclear Research Center. One booklet report from the 1945 Community Planning Demonstration Course about Sharpsburg, PA is also included.

Physical Description

Nineteen boxes (Boxes 1-17+ 14A and 14B); 17.5 linear feet

Processor

Processed by Cassandra Nespor on June 22, 2007. Updated by Laure Bukh on September 26, 2013.
Title
College of Engineering and Science, Records 1901-1987 1990.02
Status
Completed
Date
June 22, 2007
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
Undetermined
Script of description
Code for undetermined script

Repository Details

Part of the Carnegie Mellon University Archives Repository

Contact:
4909 Frew St
Pittsburgh PA 15213
(412) 268-5021