Skip to main content

School of Printing Management Records

 Collection
Identifier: 0000-0020

Scope and Content Note

The School of Printing Management Records are housed in four archival boxes and one partial oversize box and are arranged in five series. The series designated are Administration, Alumni Relations, Laboratory Press, New Laboratory Press, and Carnegie Institute of Technology (CIT) Press Publications. The records include annual reports, meeting minutes, advertising and declaratory artifacts (brochures, programs, broadsides), press specimens, works by faculty (writings, specimens), and press publications.

The records are primarily advertising and declaratory artifacts and press specimens. The advertising artifacts relate to the School, its programs and courses, the benefits of the program, and related lectures and exhibits. The press specimens include the work of Faculty, such as Porter Garnett and Jack Stauffacher, student group projects and individual student works. Also prominent are copies of CIT Press publications that include texts for use both within and outside of the School, various student projects, other specimens and three serials, Techbound, Plaid Proofs, and "The Plaid Devil." The series on Alumni Relations is composed of notifications, programs, and schedules for each year's Printing Management Seminar and Alumni Reunion and an Alumni Directory. Other items of note are publications by faculty, such as Homer E. Sterling and Glen U. Cleeton. There is little on the actual administration of the School except for the Annual Reports and College Council Minutes.

Dates

  • Majority of material found within 1928-1963
  • 1913- 1979

Restrictions

None

Records History

The School of Printing Management was established at the Carnegie Institute of Technology,Pittsburgh, Pa. in 1913 and phased out in 1963. The Department was under the auspices of the College of Industries from 1913 to 1935 when the College of Industries was merged with the College of Engineering and Science. The College of Engineering and Science administered the Department until 1948. In 1948 administration of the printing management program was transferred to the Division of Humanistic and Social Studies and renamed the Department of Printing Administration , an arrangement that continued until 1953. From 1953 to 1963, the Department of Printing Administration was its own administrative unit under the title School of Printing Management. In 1963, the School of Printing Management completed its phase out.

Education in printing and printing management continued at Carnegie Mellon University through a combination of courses; design and printing courses from the Department of Graphic Arts of the College of Fine Arts and management courses from the Department of Industrial Management.

In 1977, the Graphics Communications Management program was reestablished in the Graduate School of Industrial Management , offering a combination of courses in graphics and industrial management.

Extent

5.25 Linear feet (11 boxes)

Language

English

Overview

This collection contains the records of the School of Printing Management and include papers and publications.

Provenance

The provenance is unknown at this time (3/13/02).

Separations

Five folders of oversize material have been separated from the main body of records. The separated items are advertising posters. The five folders are listed on the container list in their proper arrangement; instead of a FF (file folder) number they have a OvSz (oversize) number designation. The School of Printing Management Records oversize folders share a box with the Margaret Morrison Carnegie College oversize materials.

Physical Description

boxes, (Boxes 1-4); 4 linear feet, and one partial Oversize box

Processor

Hillary Bober, January-April 2002.
Title
School of Printing Management Records, 1913- 1979
Subtitle
0000.20
Status
Completed
Date
June 5, 2008
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
Undetermined
Script of description
Code for undetermined script

Repository Details

Part of the Carnegie Mellon University Archives Repository

Contact:
4909 Frew St
Pittsburgh PA 15213
(412) 268-5021