Skip to main content

College of Fine Arts Records

 Collection
Identifier: 0000-0044
This collection documents the College of Fine Arts between 1912 and 2010, more specifically the Department of Design and the Department of Painting, Sculpture and Art. Included are annual reports, meeting minutes, departmental correspondence and curriculum related materials. Also included are a number of publications and printed matter like exhibition catalogs, brochures, newsletters and newsclippings.

Dates

  • 1912-2010

Restrictions

Material related to the "Committee on Non-Tenured Appointments" is restricted.

Extent

9 Linear feet (9 boxes)

Biographical/Historical note

Officially founded in 1905, Carnegie Mellon University's College of Fine Arts (CFA) was one of the first comprehensive arts learning institutions in the United States. In the planning stages for Carnegie Tech it was decided that instruction and training for students would be included in order “to apply art and design to industries.” Between 1905 and 1907, instruction in the School of Design was limited to Architecture until the fall of 1907 when Applied Design and Interior Decoration were added to the curriculum. In 1912, the first degrees were awarded in architecture, applied design, and interior decoration. In 1913 and 1915, departments in Drama and Sculpture were established, followed by painting and music. The name of the school was changed to the Division of Arts in 1918 and then the College of Fine Arts in 1921.
Title
College of FIne Arts Records, 1912-2010
Subtitle
0000.44
Status
completed
Description rules
dacs

Repository Details

Part of the Carnegie Mellon University Archives Repository

Contact:
4909 Frew St
Pittsburgh PA 15213
(412) 268-5021