Skip to main content

Board of Trustees Records

 Collection
Identifier: 0000-0007

Scope and Content Note

The Records of the Board of Trustees are housed in eight boxes and arranged into five series. Series have been designated for handbooks, Executive Committee minutes, other committees, Visiting Committees, and miscellaneous. The activities of the Board of Trustees are documented through the work of its committees, and therefore the majority of this collection consists of meeting minutes, reports, and correspondence. Although the Board of Trustees began in 1903, the majority of the documentation in this collection begins around 1962. The Miscellaneous series contains information about some of the Board members, as do the Handbooks in Series One.

Dates

  • Majority of material found within 1962-1975
  • 1901-2013

Restrictions

Executive Committee Minutes are restricted for 30 years after their creation.

Historical Sketch

For over 50 years, the Trustees of the Carnegie Institute of Technology (CIT) existed only as a subcommittee of the Carnegie Institute Board of Trustees, the The Carnegie Institute being comprised of the Carnegie Library, Museums, and Institute of Technology. The Institute of Technology was the last of these three institutions to be founded and its operation was to be controlled by the same Board as the first two institutions. On September 29, 1903, the Board of Trustees of the Carnegie Institute appointed a committee to oversee the development of the school. The committee was called the Committee on the Carnegie Technical Schools of Pittsburgh and consisted of Messrs. Frew, Brashear, McConway, Scaife, Stevenson, Booth, and later Mr. Hamerschlag.

After classes began at the school in 1905, oversight continued to be in the hands of the Carnegie Institute and its Board of Trustees. A subcommittee of nine men had direct responsibility for the operations of the school.

In 1939 the By-laws for the Carnegie Institute of Technology were revised to give CIT more control of its own finances. Positions were added to the subcommittee that were not a part of the larger Board of Trustees. The name of the subcommittee became the "Executive Committee of the Board of Trustees on the Carnegie Institute of Technology." In addition, the President of the school finally had a seat on Carnegie Institute Board of Trustees.

In 1959 the Court of Common Pleas granted the Carnegie Institute of Technology a completely separate Board of Trustees. The new By-laws stated that "the business, property, and affairs of the Corporation [Carnegie Institute of Technology] shall be managed and controlled by its Board of Trustees."

Extent

8 Linear feet (9 boxes)

Language

English

Overview

This collection contains 7.5 linear feet of papers pertaining to the Board's various activities, 1901-2013 (bulk 1962-1975). From 1903-1959 the Trustees of the University were a subcommittee of the Carnegie Institute Board of Trustees, which included the Carnegie Museum and Public Library as well. In 1959, the Court of Common Pleas granted the Carnegie Institute of Technology a completely separate Board of Trustees. The majority of this collection consists of meeting minutes, reports, and correspondence.

Physical Location

Shelves 80-81

Provenance

The provenance of this collection is unknown at this time (7/30/07).
Title
Board of Trustees Records, 1901-2005
Subtitle
0000.0007
Status
Completed
Author
Cassandra Nespor
Date
July 27, 2007
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
Undetermined
Script of description
Code for undetermined script
Language of description note
English

Repository Details

Part of the Carnegie Mellon University Archives Repository

Contact:
4909 Frew St
Pittsburgh PA 15213
(412) 268-5021