Skip to main content

University Libraries Records

 Collection
Identifier: 0000-0022

Scope and Content Note

The University Libraries records are housed in thirty archival boxes and are arranged in eight series. Series have been designated for administrative records, associations, automation projects, collection information, Directors' files, publications, services, and oversized materials. These records include annual reports, correspondence, minutes, reports, articles, and publications pertaining mainly to the University Libraries but inclusive also of the Carnegie Library School and various issues of Library Automation. In general, the history of the University Libraries and its activities are well represented through the eight series of this collection. The series represent distinct activities of the library and therefore there is little overlap in the information within the series- with the exception of the administrative files which encompass all of the Libraries activities. The three major series in the collection are administrative records, automation projects, and Directors' files. Areas of lesser documentation include faculty and staff records, publications, and service information.

Dates

  • Majority of material found within 1980-1998
  • c1918-2001

Creator

Restrictions

Files of the Library Director Search Committee and one folder containing an inventory and appraisal of the Posner Collection (Special Collections) are restricted. Access will be considered only on a case by case basis by the University Archivist and cannot be guaranteed.

Historical Sketch

The Carnegie Institute of Technology Library opened on January 6, 1920 in partnership with the Carnegie Public Library of Pittsburgh. Previous to 1920, Carnegie Tech students were urged to use the Carnegie Public Library nearby and many departments kept their own collections for students to use. The first home for the University Library was a building called the "Y Hut," which was located on The Cut near the senior fence. A Science School Library was also established at this time in Room 52 of the Science Building to bring together the periodicals and books throughout the departments and provide a quiet study and general reading area for the science students. A separate Engineering Library was located in Machinery Hall.

In 1943, the Library moved to room 240 in Industries Hall (now Porter Hall) so that the Y Hut could be used as a dining facility again. In 1948 it was moved to rooms 355- 360 of the Administration Building (now Baker Hall) and the Social Relations Library was incorporated in an adjoining room.

In 1946 the Special Library Committee recommended that departmental libraries be discontinued so that a proper inventory of collections could be made and henceforth administered by a professional librarian. It would be many years, however, until a suitable space would be available to make this consolidation possible. Departmental libraries continued to operate in the Arts, Margaret Morrison, Science and Engineering. It was not until 1960 that a building was specifically designed and built to house the library collection. The Hunt Library opened for students at the beginning of the 1961 fall semester.

The Mellon Institute Library was added with the joining of Mellon Institute to the Carnegie Institute of Technology in 1970. The Engineering Library and Science Library were combined in the early 1960s.

Extent

30.5 Linear feet (31 boxes)

Language

English

Overview

These records include annual reports, correspondence, minutes, reports, articles, and publications pertaining mainly to the University Libraries but inclusive also of the Carnegie Library School and various issues of Library Automation (including ILS, LIS, and Project Mercury). The three major series in the collection are administrative records, automation projects, and Directors’ files. Areas of lesser documentation include faculty and staff records, publications, and service information.

Provenance

These materials were received from various Library administrators including Barbara Richards, Gabrielle Michalek, and Gloriana St. Clair.

Separations

  1. One linear foot of records were sent to PALINET from the PRLC records.
  2. One linear foot of records from the Board of Trustees Visiting Committee was added to the existing collection.
  3. One linear foot of software manuals was added to the existing collection.
  4. One folder of 1966 blueprints for a Library at Mount Mercy College (Carlow University) was given to Carlow University Archives.
  5. One VHS tape titled "Computer Skills Workshop: Macintosh" from 1988 containing information about MacDraw and MacWrite programs.

Processor

March 28, 2007; Papers arranged and finding aid written by Cassandra Nespor with the assistance of Molly Tighe.
Title
University Libraries, Records, c1918-2001
Subtitle
0000.0022
Status
Completed
Date
August 1, 2007
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
Undetermined
Script of description
Code for undetermined script

Repository Details

Part of the Carnegie Mellon University Archives Repository

Contact:
4909 Frew St
Pittsburgh PA 15213
(412) 268-5021